©Salvador Dali - Head, after Michelangelo's, 'Giuliano di Medici' 1982

Head, after Michelangelo's, 'Giuliano di Medici' 1982
Head, after Michelangelo's, 'Giuliano di Medici'
1982 75x75cm oil/canvas
Gala-Salvador Dali Foundation, Figueras, Spain

« previous picture | 1980s Paintings | next picture »

Tomb of Giuliano di Lorenzo de' Medici with Night and Day
Tomb of Giuliano di Lorenzo de' Medici
with Night and Day

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :
Giuliano de' Medici (25 March 1453 – 26 April 1478) was the second son of Piero de' Medici (the Gouty) and Lucrezia Tornabuoni. As co-ruler of Florence, with his brother Lorenzo the Magnificent, he complemented his brother's image as the "patron of the arts" with his own image as the handsome, sporting, "golden boy."
The Medici Chapels (Cappelle medicee) are two structures at the Basilica of San Lorenzo, Florence, Italy, dating from the 16th and 17th centuries, and built as extensions to Brunelleschi's 15th-century church, with the purpose of celebrating the Medici family, patrons of the church and Grand Dukes of Tuscany. The Sagrestia Nuova, ("New Sacristy"), was designed by Michelangelo. The larger Cappella dei Principi, ("Chapel of the Princes"), though proposed in the 16th century, was not begun until the early 17th century, its design being a collaboration between the family and architects.