©Salvador Dali - The Lighthouse at Alexandria 1954

The Lighthouse at Alexandria 1954
The Lighthouse at Alexandria
1954 oil/canvas
Private collection

« previous picture | 1950s Paintings | next picture »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
The Lighthouse of Alexandria, sometimes called the Pharos of Alexandria , was a lighthouse built by the Ptolemaic Kingdom between 280 and 247 BC which was between 393 and 450 ft (120 and 137 m) tall. One of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, it was one of the tallest man-made structures in the world for many centuries. Badly damaged by three earthquakes between AD 956 and 1323, it then became an abandoned ruin. It was the third longest surviving ancient wonder (after the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus and the extant Great Pyramid of Giza) until 1480, when the last of its remnant stones were used to build the Citadel of Qaitbay on the site. In 1994, French archaeologists discovered some remains of the lighthouse on the floor of Alexandria's Eastern Harbour. The Ministry of State of Antiquities in Egypt has planned, as of late 2015, to turn submerged ruins of ancient Alexandria, including those of the Pharos, into an underwater museum.